ANZAC Day 2022
What does Anzac Day mean to me??
From my early days, my parents instilled in me a pride in my country and good old respect for my family. Both Mum and Dad served during World War 2. My grandfathers both served during World War 1 and both played a part in World War 2. Strangely I don't remember any of them talking about their war experiences. Perhaps the traumas were too close for them!
My mother's brothers - Jack, Bill and Harold (Hocka), all served in WW2 as did my father's siblings- Amelia (Micky) and Edward (Ted).
| Patricia Joan Wilson |
DOB 11/9/1924 - 7/7/2013
WW2
NF462701
Australian Women’s Army Service (AWAS)
Enlisted 1943
- Demobbed 1945
My mother rarely missed an Anzac Day march in Sydney and the following get together with her AWAS colleagues. As attending became difficult for her, my brother and sister and I made it a priority to get her into Hyde Park to gather with the AWAS and perform the march up George. The photo on the right is Mum in the 2013 March in Forster (4 months before she died).
ROBERT JOHN BRUDUS ROMERIL
DOB 22/11/1923 – 23/11/1981
VX116139
67 AASL Coy (Australian Army)
Enlisted 1942 – demobbed 1945
| Robert John Brudus Romeril (on left) |
DOB 1892 – 1973
WW1
10014
9th Field Company Engineers
Military Medal (1918)
Enlisted 1916 – Demobbed 1919
WW2
N273373
P.O.W. Group (Cowra)
Enlisted 1941 – Demobbed 1947
WILSON, John James Charles, Private
(10014), 10th
Field Company, Australian Engineers
![]() |
| JJC Wilson and his sons and daughter who also served |
ROBERT WILLIAM ROMERIL
DOB 3/7/1887 – 12/1/1967
WW1
51
1-Fld.Artillery Brigade (Gallipoli 1915-1916)
Enlisted 1914 – Demobbed 1919
WW2
V81005
12th Australian Garrison Company
Enlisted 1939 – Demobbed 1945
![]() |
| Robert William Romeril and two of his sons who also served |
Like my father, my paternal grandfather was silent on his service. I also have had no success in obtaining photographs of his service.
I have obtained his records from the National Archives of Australia and I don't think he would be happy at his granddaughter having access to his exploits in Europe. He was a most private man.He landed on Gallipoli on 15 May 1915 and evacuated in December 1915. I can't imagine what he experienced.








Comments
Post a Comment